R. L. Hoover, Professor
Sam Caputo, Middle & Secondary Curriculum Superisor
NOTE: The materials below are class handouts that you will use during the term.
- TCED 7032: Syllabus in MSWord format (Teacher Leader Endorsement Enrollees)
- Final Project Options
- Workshop: Syllabus in MSWord format
- Topics to be examined.
Readings for High-Stake Testing & Accountability:
- OAA-OGT Research Studies
- "The Early Catastrophe: The 30 Million Word Gap by Age 3" by Betty Hart and Todd R. Risley
This is a must-read to beging to grasp why and how advantage-disadvantage plays out in shaping the scores on proficiency test.
- "School Reform and Accountability: Some Implications and Issues for Democracy and Fair Play"
"Democracy & Education", Vol. 14, No. 4, 2003. An article written by Randy L. Hoover and Kathy L. Shook.
- A short essay on Authentic Accountability versus Pseudo Accountability By Hoover and Shook, 2004.
- "(Re)Understanding Educator Accountability: Pseudo Vs. Authentic Policies"
- New Findings on School Reform A new take on the whole movement-- Finally!
Guides Diagrams, and Readings for Use in Class:
- Diagrams: Teaching-Learning Model and Others
- Principles of Interest This is an outline of the concepts used in the Teaching-Learning Model found above. It is a primary source for TCED 6922, but is also quite relevant to this class.
- Validating Issues for Authentic Assessment Principles for establishing authentic assessment activities.
Curriculum Deconstruction-Reconstruction Items: (MS Word format)
- Final Project Cover Sheet NOTE: You are requested to use this on your final project. If you are working with another person, please attach a cover sheet for each one of you but only one copy of the final project.
- Comparison of Traditional Model for C&I and Empowering, Nested Standards Model.
- Validating Questions for Empowering Unit Plan
- The Outline for a basic Thematic Unit Plan with Nested Standards (MS Word format)